Dr. Christine Collins is a leading Gynecologist located in Beverly Hills, with two decades of experience in treating women for a wide range of gynecological issues, including vaginal dryness. As a board certified Gynecologist and an expert in integrative medicine, she
offers a wide range of options to remedy vaginal dryness for women throughout the greater Los Angeles area.
Vaginal Dryness Q & A
What symptoms are associated with vaginal dryness?
Vaginal dryness is one of the most common and undesirable symptoms elicited by the decline in estrogen production that accompanies menopause. This dryness can cause women to experience pain or light bleeding during intercourse; an itchy, burning or stinging sensation; or urinary urgency or frequency. Vaginal dryness can also make a woman more prone to urinary tract and vaginal infections.
What are the causes of vaginal dryness?
Estrogen is responsible for keeping the vagina healthy and lubricated with a thin, clear layer of fluid. When a woman’s estrogen levels decrease, usually as a result of menopause, this fluid disappears, as well. In addition to menopause, estrogen levels – leading to vaginal dryness — are caused by several other issues too. These include:
- Giving birth or breastfeeding.
- Treatments for cancer, including radiation and chemotherapy.
- Damage to or surgical removal of the ovaries.
- Treatments for fibroids or endometriosis that are designed to reduce the production of estrogen.
- Douching too frequently.
- Certain autoimmune disorders.
- Some decongestant medications can decrease body moisture, including moisture in the vagina.
What treatment options does Dr. Collins offer for vaginal dryness?
Many women are uncomfortable to discuss vaginal dryness with their doctors, which is a mistake, as it is very treatable. Dr. Collins begins by discussing medical history and lifestyle with each patient, followed by a pelvic exam. From here she discusses the various available treatment options. Though these vary among patients, some of the most often recommended are:
- Vaginal estrogen cream or suppositories.
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.
- Using a water-based lubricant during sex.
- Vaginal moisture, which can relieve dryness for several days with just one application.
- vFit Plus – the world’s first home – use intimate wellness solution that uses patented red – light technology to improve sexual function, so you can enjoy personal wellness with confidence.