As women age, they many experience vaginal atrophy, a thinning and drying of the vaginal that can cause painful intercourse and other issues. Dr. Christine Collins offers a wide range of advanced treatments to alleviate the symptoms of vaginal atrophy is women throughout Beverly Hills, California and the greater Los Angeles area.
Vaginal Atrophy Q & A
What is vaginal atrophy?
Vaginal atrophy is thinning, drying and inflammation of the vaginal walls due to the body’s decreased production of the female reproductive hormone, estrogen. Vaginal atrophy occurs most often as the result of menopause, but can also be caused by the surgical removal of both ovaries (surgical menopause), pelvic radiation therapy for cancer, chemotherapy for cancer and hormonal treatment for breast cancer.
What are the most common symptoms of vaginal atrophy?
- Painful intercourse and decreased vaginal lubrication during sexual activity.
- Urinary symptoms, including incontinence and frequent urinary tract infections.
- Vaginal burning and itching.
- Vaginal infections.
What treatments does Dr. Collins offer for vaginal atrophy?
Almost half of postmenopausal women experience vaginal atrophy to some extent, but many are too embarrassed to seek treatment. There is no need to suffer, though. Vaginal atrophy is very treatable today. Dr. Collins offers a wide array of options. These include:
- Vaginal moisturizers.
- Water-based lubricants used during sexual intercourse.
- Topical estrogen creams or vaginal estrogen tablets. These non-oral forms of estrogen do not carry the health risks that conventional hormones taken orally do, and are highly effective in alleviating symptoms.
- The vaginal estrogen ring. This is a soft, flexible ring that is inserted into the upper part of the vagina. It may be inserted by Dr. Collins or she can instruct the patient how to do it herself. The ring releases a consistent dose of estrogen while in place and needs to be replaced about every three months. Again, this low-dose estrogen released directly into the vagina does not carry the same health risks as conventional hormones that are taken orally.
- vFit Plus – the world’s first home – use intimate wellness solution that uses patented red – light technology to improve sexual function, so you can enjoy personal wellness with confidence.